Eye care professionals specialize in understanding how the human eye really works, as well as diseases and conditions that affect your vision – many of which do not have obvious symptoms. Eye doctors know how age and risk factors affect vision over time for young and old, and they understand the benefits and features of corrective lenses including eyeglasses and contacts.
Our optometrists take the time to explain the results of your eye exam, describe your options and listen to your eye care needs. Because maintaining good eye health is an ongoing partnership, we encourage you to ask questions and share your health information, which could be vital to monitoring, diagnosing and treating potential vision problems.
Meet our doctors:
Dr. Cook is a West Texan from Garden City who has been in private practice in Midland since 1974. He lectures both locally, across Australia & Canada, and he has been a guest lecturer in Practice Management at the University of Houston. Dr. Cook has participated in extensive studies at the Disney Institute and the Ritz Carlton Learning Institute all with the goal of providing the best possible service to our Vision Health Specialties patients.
When he’s not in the office, Dr. Cook can be found ice skating, training in gymnastics or flying on the trapeze.
- Undergraduate and graduate work at the University of Houston College of Optometry.
- Ocular Therapeutics Certificate and Optometric Glaucoma Specialist Certificate.
- Published in the American Optometric Journal and the Texas Optometric Journal.
Dr. Grigsby provides consultation services to patients with difficult issues relating to eye disease, diabetes and refractive surgery and he is a frequent lecturer to clinicians on these issues.
A desire to help those with diabetes and eye problems changed the course of Dr. Grigsby’s career. He completed a Master of Science in Biology from the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, doing research in collaboration with Dr. Andrew Tsin at the University of Texas at San Antonio.
Dr. Grigsby divides his time between seeing patients and research. He has published original research in several international eye journals, presented research at international meetings, and recently has written a chapter in a book for eye doctors and researchers entitled ‘Diabetic Retinopathy’. Dr. Grigsby is the founder of Redwine Eye Research LLC, an organization dedicated to solving the puzzles of diabetic eye disease.
Dr. Grigsby served on the Board of Directors of the Texas Optometric Association (TOA) for 10 years. He has chaired or served on 18 different TOA committees. In 2002-2003 he served as President of the TOA, at that time the first West Texan in 25 years to do so.
- Bachelor of Science and Doctorate of Optometry degrees from the University of Houston
- Master of Science in Biology from the University of Texas of the Permian Basin
- President and on Board of Directors of Texas Optometric Association (TOA)
- 4 times Recipient of TOA President’s Award for Service
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry
- Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Houston, College of Optometry
- He has been honored as the convocation speaker for the College of Optometry during its graduation ceremony.
Dr. Robert Sheets was born and raised in North Dakota and acquired his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of North Dakota. It was in those early years that he developed his passion for helping the public and was accepted to Pacific University College of Optometry in Oregon. Upon completion of his Doctorate of Optometry, he was drawn to West Texas to begin his career. Now considered an adopted Texan, Dr. Sheets has been practicing in Midland for over 25 years and has served as past President of the West Texas Optometric Society. In order to stay current in developments in optometry, he completed additional training in the treatment and management of ocular diseases at the University of Houston and received his Ocular Therapeutic Certificate as well as his Optometric Glaucoma Specialist Certificate. Additionally, he is one of a few to become a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry.
Dr. Sheets has also been involved with laser eye surgery from its inception, taking him to Toronto, Canada to mentor under laser pioneer Dr. Raymond Stein. Eye Lasik Midland, housed inside Vision Health Specialties, continues to be the leader in laser eye surgery for the Permian Basin. He also serves as Treasurer for his local church. Robert and his wife Dolores have been blessed with Madison, their only daughter. During their free time, you can find the Sheets at sporting events, on the golf course, or traveling.
- Bachelor of Science degree from the University of North Dakota
- Doctorate of Optometry – Pacific University College of Optometry
- President of the West Texas Optometric Society
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry
- Board of Directors for Midland’s Community and Senior Services, with its flagship program – “Meals on Wheels”.
Dr. Michael Pawlowski was born and raised in Plano, Texas. Dr. Pawlowski completed internships at Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, the University of Houston Eye Institute, and Midland Vision Health Specialties. He was inducted into the prestigious Beta Sigma Kappa International Optometric Honor Society and was honored to speak at convocation for his graduating class. He was a member of the American Optometric Student Association and the Texas Optometric Student Association. During that time he gained experience treating ocular pathology and managing laser corrective surgeries such as LASIK and photorefractive keratectomy. He was selected as the first-ever optometrist intern for Essilor, a worldwide leader in lens manufacturing, where he gained valuable insights into lens technologies and the eye care industry.
Dr. Pawlowski is a certified therapeutic optometrist and glaucoma specialist. When not seeing patients, Dr. Pawlowski enjoys spending time with his family and volunteering with his local church congregation. He is a proud Eagle Scout and avid dog-lover.
- Bachelor of Science from Brigham Young University
- Doctorate of Optometry from the University of Houston
- Vice President of the Practice Management Organization
- Member of Beta Sigma Kappa International Optometric Honor Society
- Member of the Texas Optometric Association
- Member of the American Optometric Association – currently serves on advisory board